Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Warriors by Tom Whalen: He'll shove his pencil up your ass and turn you into a Popsicle

Graphic designer Tom Whalen created a nifty alternate poster for The Warriors, one of my favorite flicks from the '70s (it's hard to believe its badass synthesizer score, which every hip-hop DJ or cratedigger will tell you has got breaks galore, was written by the same composer who was involved with the not-so-Warriors-like "Nadia's Theme"):

Can you dig it?
The Warriors' controversial, poorly received original poster was a menacing-looking portrait of all the gangs from the film. Moviegoers wouldn't be this frightened by a one-sheet again until 2007, when a shirtless, Jim Morrison-spoofing John C. Reilly scared away 90 percent of Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story's target audience.

Here's another Whalen-designed alternate poster I like:

I'd like to see a new alternate poster for THE SHINNING.
I think Whalen's poster is creepier than the official Shining poster designed by the legendary Saul Bass in 1980. Somewhere, a Bass fan who's following me on Twitter will read this and proceed to unfollow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment