Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"AFOS A-Go-Go" begins in September

I hope this is what Uhura is wearing in the J.J. Abrams Star Trek flick.I haven't updated the station information on jim.aquino.com in weeks, and judging from the FTP problems I've suddenly been having with jim.aquino.com's provider, the famously quick-to-help Netidentity, it looks like I won't be able to update jim.aquino.com any time soon. So check back with this blog instead of jim.aquino.com for the latest news and info about A Fistful of Soundtracks or updated playlists.

Speaking of which, here now is some late-breaking news: I'm removing the hour-long A Fistful of Soundtracks: The Series from the station schedule this month. No AFOS: The Series eps for the next few weeks. I know I've been streaming the same five or six eps since springtime, but they're the only eps I'm satisfied with at the moment. I'll bring the series back to the sched when I find the time or willingness to produce another hour-long ep.

In AFOS: The Series' place will be something I'm calling "AFOS A-Go-Go."

Dictionary.com defines "a-go-go" as "In a fast and lively manner." Merriam-Webster defines it as "being up-to-date." Instead of hearing eps I recorded months or years ago, you'll be hearing segments from me that are timelier and more up-to-date--and took far less time to record and edit--during the "AFOS A-Go-Go" block. (For instance, while I was recording segments for this first week of "AFOS A-Go-Go," I found out about the death of Don LaFontaine--R.I.P.--and was able to sneak in towards the end both a brief word about this legend in the voiceover community and a montage that I hastily edited together of clips from LaFontaine's trailers and promos.)

I'll be eschewing the heavily scripted, each-epi-has-a-single-theme format I've been doing since 1999 on terrestrial radio (and since 2002 on Internet radio). I felt like trying something new. The each-ep-has-a-theme format has been too constricting. It takes a lot of time and work to pick out a theme, hunt for 14 or 15 tracks that share that theme and then come up with interesting things to say about each track.

Under this new and temporary format (which I'm thinking of switching to whenever I'm between eps like now), I'll be able to play tracks that I wasn't able to include on any of the themed eps because they didn't fit the themes. These "A-Go-Go" playlists won't have a theme, other than "favorite tracks of the week." Listeners will get to hear music that I've never streamed before on my station, plus more stuff from newer releases. I'm trying to reduce repetition, which I've noticed has been a flaw of the Internet radio stations I regularly listen to, as well as my own station.

"AFOS A-Go-Go" airs Tuesdays and Thursdays at midnight, 4am, 10am, 3pm, 7pm and 11pm, and Saturdays and Sundays at 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment