Happy New Year. These favorite moments of mine are all from scripted or non-reality TV. Screw reality TV.
(Warning: some spoilers ahead.)
20. Conan, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert try to kick each other's asses to the tune of "Brianstorm" by the Arctic Monkeys (Late Night with Conan O'Brien).
"the Naked Man" (How I Met Your Mother).
18. Rob Riggle gives Code Pink enough rope to hang themselves (The Daily Show with Jon Stewart).
17. Walt blows up Tuco's office (Breaking Bad).
16. Brock battles a French assassin who's obsessed with Silver Age comic books (The Venture Bros.).
15. Michael goes undercover as a wimpy chemist (Burn Notice).
14. "She must prove she loves America, as opposed to Republicans, who everyone knows love America. They just hate half the people living in it" (The Daily Show).
13. The island is visited by the freighties, who include Daniel, a heroic science nerd, and Miles, a wiseass "ghostbuster" and the most interesting and least clichéd Asian American male character to hit network TV in years (Lost).
12. Patterson punches Encino Man (Generation Kill).
11. "Hey John, I got a question! You need a ride to the airport?" (Late Show with David Letterman).
10. Stephen tries--and fails--to hide actual tears during Barack Obama's historic victory (Indecision 2008: America's Choice).
9. Wendy emerges from the water in Ursula Andress' Dr. No bikini (The Middleman).
Don tells Peggy to get out of the hospital and move forward (Mad Men).
7. The survivors find Earth (Battlestar Galactica).
6. Katie Couric (Amy Poehler) interviews Sarah Palin (Tina Fey) (Saturday Night Live).
5. Jack crashes Liz's high school reunion (30 Rock).
4. Bubbles is finally invited to the dinner table (The Wire).
3. Vic confesses (The Shield).
2. Joe Biden (Jason Sudeikis) and Sarah Palin (Fey) go head to head (SNL).
1. Iceman's team sings "Teenage Dirtbag" (Generation Kill).
- The Bawlmer cops sing "The Body of an American" for the final time (The Wire).
- Desmond looks for his constant (Lost).
- "A guaranteed disaster. Like eating a burrito before sex" (30 Rock).
- Samantha Bee tries to get Republican delegates to say the word "choice" (The Daily Show).
- BET fires everyone who can read (The Boondocks).
- 6H turns into Amadeus (30 Rock).
- John Legend sings "The Girl Is Mine" with Stephen (The Colbert Report).
- Will Arnett does his last sex tape (Human Giant).
- Sayid sells his soul (Lost).
- Anna Paquin and Lizzy Caplan finally get naked (True Blood).